Founded on 24 November 2010 by twelve Recognised Organisations as a non-profit community interest company (CIC) in London
“QACE – Entity for the Quality Assessment and Certification of Organisations Recognised by the European Union CIC” was founded 24 November 2010 by the 12 “Recognised Organisations” (or “ROs”) that were authorised to work on behalf of European Union Member States to provide ship inspections and surveys. The establishment was the result of the introduction of mandatory requirements in EU Regulation (EC) No 391/2009 on “Common rules and standards for ship inspection and survey organisations”. Article 11 in this Regulation required that ROs that were authorised by European Union Member States “shall set up by June 2011 and maintain an independent quality assessment and certification entity in accordance with the applicable international quality standards where the relevant professional associations working in the shipping industry may participate in an advisory capacity.”
QACE was incorporated on 30 November 2010 under the English Companies Act 2006 as a private community interest company limited by guarantee and not-for-profit.
QACE is governed by an Assembly of Members consisting of the representatives of the Recognised Organisations and by an independent Board of elected Directors, representing different geographic regions and a spectrum of professional backgrounds within the world maritime industry.
The Articles of Association set out the QACE objectives and powers, the responsibilities of the Members and Directors and QACE’s administrative arrangements.
QACE is funded by its Members through subscriptions, based on the annual financial budget approved by them.
The promotion of safety at sea and the protection of the marine environment for the benefit of society, through the assessment and certification of the quality management systems of Recognised Organisations authorised by European Union Member States.
- We assess the performance of the Recognised Organisations and verify their conformity with applicable international quality standards.
- We interpret the relevant internationally recognised quality management standards in the light of the specific nature and obligations of Recognised Organisations.
- We provide recommendations for the improvement of the processes and the internal control mechanisms of the Recognised Organisations.
- We work on a high level of professionalism and performance.
- We act independently of any stakeholders involved.
We assess the audits of the ROs carried out by QACE recognised accredited certification bodies.
- To ensure that the audit and the certification processes are consistent and in compliance with common standards and procedures of QACE
- To enable us to directly judge the performance of the quality management system of the Recognized Organisations
- To enable us to develop recommendations for the improvement of the processes and the internal and external control mechanisms of the Recognized Organisations.
QACE issues a Certificate of Compliance to all Recognised Organisations meeting the criteria specified in the EU Regulation 391/2009 and also the operating procedures of QACE. These are valid for a period of 3 years, and renewed thereafter, subject to the ROs being in compliance with the stipulated requirements, as confirmed through audits and assessments.
Our Quality Management System
The Quality Management System which governs all internal operations of QACE is certified to ISO 9001:2015 standard by a UKAS accredited certification body – DAS Certification of SN Registrars (Holding) Limited, UK.